Republican call off vote on Trump's War Powers Resolution that was on the verge of passing

Democrats slammed Republicans as “cowards” for delaying the voting procedure into next month, while Republicans argue the move was to allow lawmakers unable to attend the vote a chance to cast their say.
Republican lawmakers struggled on Thursday to find the votes needed to dismiss legislation that would compel US President Donald Trump to withdraw from the war with Iran, delaying planned votes on the matter into June.
The US House of Representatives had scheduled a vote on a war powers resolution, brought by Democrats, that would rein in Trump's military campaign. But as it became clear that Republicans would not have the numbers to defeat the bill, Republican congressional leaders declined to hold a vote on it.
It was the latest sign of the slipping support in Congress for the war that Trump launched more than two months ago with Israel, without having obtained congressional approval.
“We had the votes without question and they knew it, and as a result they’re playing a political game,” said Democratic lawmaker Gregory Meeks, who sponsored the bill.
Republicans in the Senate are also working to ensure they have the votes to dismiss another war powers resolution that advanced to a final vote earlier this week, when four Republican senators supported the resolution and three others were absent from the vote.
The actions by the congressional leaders showed Republicans are struggling to maintain political backing for Trump's handling of the war. Rank-and-file Republicans are increasingly willing to defy the president over the conflict, initially slated to just weeks, but is now on the cusp of three months with no end in near sight.
House Republican Leader Steve Scalise told reporters that the vote was delayed to give lawmakers who were absent a chance to vote. House Speaker Mike Johnson did not answer questions from reporters as he exited the lower congressional chamber.
Frustration mounts on Capitol Hill over the war
On Capitol Hill, patience with the war has worn thin as the stalemate in the Strait of Hormuz continues to disrupt global shipping and hikes oil prices in the US. Another House war powers resolution nearly passed last week, falling on a tie vote as three Republicans voted in favour of the proceedings.
Meeks, the top Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he had the votes “locked in” this time around.
“People are beginning to finally listen to the American people who don’t support the war in Iran, and I think there’s a growing number of Republicans who see how devastating the war has been for our country,” said Democratic lawmaker Adam Smith of Washington state.
The lone Democrat who voted against the war powers resolution last week, Representative Jared Golden of Maine, has said he will vote in favour of the legislation next time, giving the Democrats a united front in its opposition.
In a joint statement, House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries and other caucus leaders said Republicans were “cowardly” to pull the vote.
“Even as we prepare to recognise our nation’s fallen heroes on Memorial Day, House Republicans refuse to show up and be accountable to the brave service members that have been recklessly put in harm’s way,” they added.
War Powers Resolution
Republicans have been broadly supportive of Trump's war efforts to destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities, but some are now saying the president's legal timeline to wage a war without congressional approval has expired.
Under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, presidents have 60 days to engage in a military conflict before Congress must either declare war or authorise the use of military force.
“We're past 60 days so it's got to be brought to us to vote on. We're following the law,” said Representative Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican, adding that he plans to vote for the war powers resolution.
The White House argues that the requirements of the War Powers Resolution no longer apply because of the ceasefire with Iran, which has been in effect since 8 April.
Still, Trump said on social media that military leaders should “be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that “an acceptable deal is not reached.” Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.




